As I mentioned previously, I give myself a D+ for the past year’s effort. That means there’s still a long way to go, so the goal for this year is to stay the course with what I am already doing.
Staying the course means resisting the temptation to add more when what I am already doing is not quite working yet. I have a lot of ideas I would like to try, but before I do, I want the stuff I’ve already started to work.
To that end, I will be focusing on the following efforts this year:
- Install at least half the fencing needed to improve our pasture management.
- Continue to expand our chicken operation, to include the addition of chicken tractors to our existing coop.
- Improve our pasture management by taming the weeds using goats.
- Successfully harvest something from our test garden which will include:
- Maris Widgeon Wheat (planted Fall 2010)
- Painted Mountain Flour Corn
- Taylor’s Dwarf Horticultural Beans
- Dale Sorghum
- Hulless Oats
- Hulless Barley
- Japanese Hulless Popcorn
- Cascade Hops
- Magnum Hops
- Sterling Hops
- And, possibly, others I have not mentioned
My hope is that, by the end of this year, I can improve my grade to at least a C+ and have something to show for it too. Keep reading on this site for updates.