For all of you people out there whose main support of the apparently eternal expansion of government is that it “helps people”, I have a few questions:
- How does it help people to assume you are smarter than anyone who disagrees with you?
- How does it help people to ignore the arguments of people who disagree with you?
- How does it help people to mock, ridicule, and insult anyone who disagrees with you?
- How does it help people to saddle them with $170,000 worth of federal debt before this decade is through?
- How does it help people to pay for the things you are providing them by taking that payment from someone else?
- How does it help people to concentrate more and more power over the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness in the hands of fewer and fewer people?
I’m pretty sure that these were the questions that the monarchs, nobles, and aristocrats of France should have been asking themselves just before Bastille Day. They didn’t, and if you’re any kind of student of history, you’ll consider what happened next.